Sunday, July 19, 2009

Just a lazy Sunday.

It's Sunday and that means it's my day off. After spending long hours in the library on a Saturday, Sunday becomes the most amazing day of the week ----- the library is closed. The thesis is in full swing. This week I paid for the use of a carrel at the library because it will hold me more accountable to actually study at the library (and to have my own space!!!!). In exchange for £15 and the promise of 25 hours per week in the library, they give you a closet with a desk in it! Fortunately mine has windows, but don't be fooled, they don't open more than a couple of centimeters. So after paying for the carrel, Andy and I went up to clean it. I honestly don't think it had been cleaned or used in a long time. The light switch was brown from grubby fingers and there was a layer of dust on everything. Even though it took some work it was worth it. I am a little afraid of getting swine flu which seems to be running rampant here and has spread to the university. So now I can collect my books and lock myself behind a door and read.

I have to be honest, I have been really down over the past couple of months. We have been a little strapped waiting for a money situation to work itself out. It finally did this week. It is really great not to have to invent new recipes using rice!!! So this week has been my cooking week. I had a list of things that I wanted desperately to eat like watermelon, avocado, and salmon. I have to say Andy is reaping the benefits (honestly he would eat anything and he tells me that my best cooking is when we only have 3 or 4 things and I just come up with something from scratch) It feels so good to be able to provide for him in that way. It also makes me feel good to know that he is not eating fried rice for 3 weeks straight like he did in college. 

So another part of being more secure is that we are able to travel to the few places on our travel list. We don't have many because we are trying to save up for our move back to the US (we will only have mattresses when we get back!!!!) So next weekend we are planning on going to Paris for a day. Next Sunday is the end of the Tour de France and I want to see it. It's not really because I follow the Tour or that I enjoy seeing malnourished men in spandex on bikes, but it's because I want to experience it! I just hope that we can also do the other things that we want to do while we are there. We only have one other main place to go and that is Edinburgh. We will be planning a trip there very shortly (because we will be home in 2 months!!!!!) Other than that most places are day trips of interesting places or events, like going to see Romeo and Juliet at the Globe theatre. 

I just wanted to thank you all for following our time in England and giving us all the love and support. I have had so many positive emails and facebook messages encouraging me. I just wanted you all to know that they have been so helpful. We love you all and can't wait to see you!!!

Okay, well I guess that's all for today. It is almost time for me to fix some dinner and get ready to go see Harry Potter. Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment