Monday, August 3, 2009

Crisis week

It has been a tough week. I guess I will try to start with the good.

Well, last Monday we actually made it to Battle Abbey! Yeah!!! We left the apartment around 9:00 to pick up a few things and we were on our way. Unfortunately we had to go through Hastings again and then take an additional bus to Battle. But we made it there on a drizzly Monday. We packed a picnic lunch and were able to sit and eat it because the rain had slacked off once we got there. So after lunch, we were on our way with our audio guide. We took the long route walking all around the battlefield and the ponds. Most of the year they have sheep all over the place, but on our visit they were nowhere to be found. But we did find some nice blackberry brambles! Yum! After we finished touring the fields we toured the abbey ruins and buildings. I think Andy had a really great time and I was so happy for it. After we saw everything we decided to go to the corner grocery because it was about 5:30. We sat at the bus stop and ate discounted salads and the crushed cherries we had gotten in Canterbury before we left (they didn't fare very well in my bag) After that we were back on our way home and on the bus with all the terrible people again. 

Well after Monday I spent the rest of the week in the library, as usual. On Friday, I decided to stop by the department office to see if they had any information about formatting and binding my thesis. It is there that I found out that my thesis is not due in the middle of September.... it is due the last Friday of August!!!! AUGUST!!!!!!! I had a panic attack. It was the most depressing news ever. I felt like I was on the perfect tract to complete in September with 2 weeks to proof and bind and all that fun stuff. But no, I barely have 4 weeks. So this weekend was spent stressing. And when I get stressed I clean. So Sunday (the day the library is closed) I spent the day scrubbing my kitchen from top to bottom! And sadly that means scrubbing the floor on my hands and knees. But I guess it made me feel a little more in control. 

So now Andy and I are trying to make some decisions about what we need to do. Our flight is scheduled for September 22nd, but we think we are going to move that. So I might be home the very first week in September. We also talked about Andy going home next week and trying to find a job and get everything set up, but he doesn't want me to have to take care of the apartment by myself before I leave. And that's another thing, our lease runs out August 2oth, so we are hoping they will extend it for us for a week. 

I did feel a little better today because I had a nice long talk with the head of my department. She gave me some great resources to work with and some good words of encouragement. Unfortunately, my advisor is out of town this week and half of next week. I am going to try to email him to hopefully find out what he thinks about everything. We will see how it all goes. I have a revised plan and it is now into action.

Another stress is about money. It is really expensive to pay for things here. That is another benefit of going home earlier. It means we have more money to furnish our place when we get to Birmingham. Right now, we have a set of mattresses that Mark and April are giving back to us, a tv cabinet and dresser from my mom (which we have no idea how to get to Birmingham), a shower curtain with French words on it, a milkglass compote and vase, and a set of pots and pans from our wedding registry. That's about it. So I am trying to wrap my head around living in Birmingham with no furniture and praying that we get jobs quickly. I actually have been searching a lot on etsy for simple things that can go in my place. I am thinking that most everything we have is going to be white because it's simple. I am going to try to add color with different accessories so I can change everything with the seasons. Right now I am thinking about doing my kitchen in white, black, and grey. So I have picked out a few things that I would love (because it makes me feel a little better to get some ideas).
INTRODUCING - Ghost of Winter Hand Etched Dinnerware Service for 2
I love these dishes!!! I think I am in a tree phase right now. And it also has to do with Andy. When we were in college, Andy had to do a lot of sketching for school. I would love to sit and watch him draw trees. He is a really good artist and it was my favorite subject to see him do. 

Tree Silhouette Cotton Bar Towels Set of Two
Along with the tree theme, I found these tree kitchen towels.

amazing kitchen utensils and mixer diagram towels - set of 2 - pick your color
I also really love these hand towels (another thing that I am into at the moment) 

Sapphire Eco Friendly Recycled Tray
I love the fact that this person takes old bottles and smashes them. I am really enticed by the amazing blue color.

Suppertime tea towel - rich brown
I love this persons tea towels. They have several in their shop that I would love to have. They have one that is a full English breakfast menu. If you ever have been to England, you know how seriously they take breakfast.

Romarin 8.5X11 - Collection -Art Culinaire-

Persil 8.5x11 Collection -Art culinaire-
Les Cuilleres 8.5x11 -Art culinaire- Collection
I love, love, love these prints. I was them to be the art for my kitchen/dinning room. I also love the fact that they are in French, which is a big thing at our house. 

We will see what happens. Just a start to putting our home back together. I have tons more ideas but don't really have time to explore them, we will see what happens when I get back home. 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck!! Anything at all we can do to help, you name it, we're there :)

    ReplyDelete