Monday, August 31, 2009

We are almost home!!!!

Okay so it is 3:00 a.m. here in Canterbury. We have spent the day packing and cleaning and we are pooped! If you are wondering why we are up this late, we are night owls. For the life of me, I can't get on a normal sleep schedule if I don't have a place the I am obligated to be early in the morning. So that means I stay up late and sleep late. I'm sure that will all end soon. But back to being almost home, we are all ready to leave for London in the morning. We are so ready!!!!! On Tuesday we will be flying back to the US at 7:30 a.m. (ugh, early flights are trying to kill me. We have to leave the hotel at 5:15) I am so excited to be going back. 

I have had a lot of setbacks this time, especially over this weekend, and I am just ready for it to be over. I had a crisis on Saturday that involved a closed library, a carrel full of my primary sources, and me standing outside crying. I guess the short version is that the library decided to take a long weekend because Monday is a holiday. Well, I didn't know about it. So when I showed up on campus Saturday with a copier card ready to make copies of the parts of the books in my carrel, I was sadly disappointed. I went into panic mode, all the work I had done was locked in the library with no hopes of me getting it before I leave, all the note cards tucked into their respective books. So I went back home after breaking down at the university and tried to contact people to see if I could find anyone who would be gracious enough to let me in, but that did not happen. The administrator for our department, Claire, or as I call her the miracle worker, has agreed to go and collect my notes and return the library books for me. And thankfully I have located the 10 books I need to make copies from. The bad part is that they are in 4 different libraries spread throughout Alabama, so I will be doing some traveling and re-researching. So yeah, now I have to do a lot of work over again, which does not help me make the deadline. But I am going to get through this. 

Okay so I know that I haven't written that list of things that we are looking forward to and things that we will miss, but time has escaped me. Maybe I can do that while I am sitting in one of the 3 airports I will be visiting on Tuesday. We will just have to see. 

Well, I guess this is the last official UK post! Next time I write, I will be back the the good ole' USA. Until then......

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about your research ... but I can't wait for you guys to get here!! Have a safe flight (or 3...)

    ReplyDelete